Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Banquet - Day 1 - The Appetizer


FROM LES RECETTES PRIVEES DE WILHELMINE

 

The first item on our menu is for an appetizer. When I found this recipe, I also found a scribbled note in the margin to the effect Wilhelmine invented it for one of the guards at the infamous La Bastille--a concoction so delicious she was allegedly able to spirit one of the prisoners away to safety, right under the poor man’s nose:

Wilhelmine’s original version called for “Cheese made from fresh sheep’s milk taken immediately after lambing.” It also called for a handful of green devilswort sprigs, gathered after midnight, chopped fine and cooked before dawn.”

As my local supermarket was fresh out of both ingredients and had no idea where I might find them, I’ve amended the recipe to the point where I truly believe if you feed my version to the object of your desire, he/she will immediately become putty in your hands.

Enjoy,

Christiane France
www.chrisgrover.ca
 

FETA CHEESE DIP or SPREAD

Half a pound of plain cream cheese blended with approx. one-third of a pound of the driest Feta cheese you can find.

Add:
1 large clove of garlic--minced or finely chopped.
2 or 3 spring onions, finely chopped.
A few grindings of black pepper.
One-half package of fresh spinach that has been cooked and finely chopped.

NOTE: If you make this dip in a food processor, STIR IN THE CHOPPED SPINACH BY HAND. Otherwise the dip will be a virulent, bright green.

It’s great with either pita chips or plain crackers.

1 comment:

  1. Love this recipe, thanks Christiane. I've made it before but never with Feta cheese so I'll be trying it this way next time.

    ReplyDelete